Cory has always released his books under the Creative Commons open license, which allows his readers to share and re-mix his books. This time around Doctorow is experimenting in self-publishing the book in a number of different formats from free text and audio podcast, through an audio CD book, to a limited edition hard cover physical book.
In my opinion, together with Charlie Stross, Cory Doctorow is among the most prolific and visionary science fiction writers of our generation. Amazingly, his prolific writing seems to improve, rather than dilute the quality of his work, and With A Little Help is a good example of that. The book contains 12 previously published short stories, as well as one new one – Epoch, which was commissioned by the Ubuntu project‘s Mark Shuttleworth.
You can click any of the title links above and visit his book’s home page for more information on how to buy a copy, or, you can download the full text for free here.
Finally, every day for the next 2 weeks, I will be publishing a free chapter of his audio book as a daily special podcast feature for Singularity 1 on 1.
Today I am posting Chapter 7 – Liberation Spectrum.
Liberation Spectrum explores the potential of cognitive radio potentially located on Indian lands across the USA and Canada on the basis that these sovereign territories are not under the FCC jurisdiction.
The story has been heavily influenced by the brutal stand off at Oka, Quebec, where the local town decided to expropriate the Mohawk sacred burial grounds and build a golf-course. The stand off lasted 78 days and at least 1 person was shot dead during that period.
Eventually, after the prolonged and desperate resistance of the Mohawk warrior society, the mayor of Oka decided to cancel the golf-course…
(As always, you can stream the podcast or download the mp3 file in full.)
- Cory Doctorow’s With A Little Help (full audio book) (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- Cory Doctorow’s With A Little Help: The Right Book (Chapter 3) (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- Cory Doctorow’s With A Little Help: Other Peoples Money (Chapter 4) (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- Scroogled By Cory Doctorow (The Day Google Became Evil) (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- Human Readable By Cory Doctorow (With A Little Help Chapter 6) (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)