In today’s edition of Singularity Podcast I had the privilege of doing an hour long interview with the first cyborg — Prof. Kevin Warwick. I enjoyed talking to Prof. Warwick immensely and got him to share his views on a wide variety of topics such as human and artificial intelligence, robotics, the technological singularity, God, the beginning of the universe and so on.
Also, during the interview Kevin Warwick threw a friendly challenge towards Ray Kurzweil by asking: “Why is it that Ray hasn’t experimented with implant technology yet?”
Who is Kevin Warwick?
As well as publishing over 500 research papers, Kevin’s experiments into implant technology led to him being featured as the cover story on the US magazine Wired. He has been awarded higher doctorates (DSc) both by Imperial College and the Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague, and has received Honorary Doctorates from Aston University, Bradford University and Coventry University. He was presented with The Future of Health Technology Award in MIT, was made an Honorary Member of the Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, received The IEE Senior Achievement Medal and the Mountbatten Medal. In 2000 Kevin presented the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures, entitled “The Rise of the Robots”.
Kevin’s most recent research involves the invention of an intelligent deep brain stimulator to counteract the effects of Parkinson Disease tremors. Another project involves the use of biological neural networks to drive robots around. Kevin is though best known for his pioneering experiments involving a neuro-surgical implantation into the median nerves of his left arm to link his nervous system directly to a computer. He was successful with the first extra-sensory (ultrasonic) input for a human and with the first purely electronic telegraphic communication experiment between the nervous systems of two humans — himself and his wife Irena.
For more information you can visit Kevin Warwick’s Official Site: http://www.kevinwarwick.com/
Related articles by Zemanta
- Singularity Podcast: George Dvorsky on Transhumanism and the Singularity (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- Singularity Podcast: Barry Ptolemy on Transcendent Man (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- Aubrey de Grey’s Singularity Podcast: Longevity Escape Velocity Maybe Closer Than We Think (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- Michael Anissimov’s Podcast: Singularity Without Compromise (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- Singularity Podcast: Vernor Vinge and Cory Doctorow on NPR (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- James Harvey’s Singularity Podcast: We are Singularia (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- Kevin Warwick: The First Cyborg (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- Kevin Warwick’s Cyborg Experiments (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)