What does a creative writer do that a computer can’t?
Could an AI have drummed up Hamlet?
Artificial Intelligence has come a long way in the last several years, and now the filmmakers behind “Sunspring” have returned with a new short starring David Hasselhoff. Once again, Oscar Sharp who directed the first ever all AI Artificial Intelligence has come a long way in the last several years, and now the filmmakers behind “Sunspring” have returned with a new short starring David Hasselhoff. Once again, Oscar Sharp who directed the first ever all AI movie has teamed up with “Benjamin,” an A.I. programmed by Ross Goodwin to write screenplays.
This year, they trained four new long short-term memory (LSTM) recurrent neural network models on subtitles from David Hasselhoff’s 1980s TV shows, Shakespeare, Golden Age Hollywood films, and Aaron Sorkin. In addition, they used a context-free grammar loaded with words from a ballet dictionary to make a choreography generator, and re-used an LSTM recurrent neural network from “Sunspring” to produce Hasselhoff’s final soliloquy. The process required the use of New York University’s supercomputer for training, and a Razer Blade laptop outfitted with a high-performance graphics processing unit (GPU) for text generation.
The result is a weird and unnerving look at the clash between creatives and corporate suits in Hollywood. With a looming writers’ strike now hovering over the industry, the questions posed by It’s No Game are uncannily prescient.
Other cool science fiction films
- The Intelligence Explosion: A Short Sci Fi Film about AI Ethics
- Rise: Proof of Concept Short Sci Fi Film with Anton Yelchin
- Tears In The Rain: A Spectacular SciFi Blade Runner Fanfilm
- “Dust” Short SciFi: Stunning Cinematography & Worthy Message
- Envoy: David Weinstein’s Short Sci Fi About Alien Robot Must Become Full Feature Film
- The Nostalgist: A Cool Sci Fi Short Film Explores VR and More
- The iMom
- 300,000 km/s: A Cool Sci-Fi Short Film Noir by Stéphane Réthoré
- ‘Deus Ex: Human Revolution’ Impressive Fan Sci Fi Short Film
- Shifter: Live Action Sci Fi Short Film by the Hallivis Brothers
- Keloid: JJ Palomo’s Gripping Robopocalypse Short Sci Fi Film
- The Final Moments of Karl Brant: Short Sci Fi Film about Mind Uploading
- Shelved: Robot Comedy Shows Tragedy of Robots Replaced By Humans
- Tears of Steel: Blender Foundation’s Stunning Short Sci Fi Film
- Stephan Zlotescu’s Sci Fi Short “True Skin” To Become A Warner Bros Full Feature
- Plurality: Dennis Liu’s Big Brother Sci Fi Film Rocks
- ROSA: an Epic Sci Fi Short Film by Jesus Orellana
- Legacy, Ark and the 3rd Letter: The Dark, Post-Apocalyptic Sci Fi Films of Grzegorz Jonkajtys
- Portal: No Escape (Live Action Short Sci Fi Film by Dan Trachtenberg)
- Cost of Living: Short Sci Fi Film by Bendavid Grabinski
- Robots of Brixton (a short film by Kibwe Tavares)
- Drone: An Action-Packed Sci Fi Short by Robert Glickert
- Somnolence: A Short Sci Fi Film by Patrick Kalyn
- Kara by Quantic Dream: Do Androids Fear Death?
- Aaron Sims’ Film Archetype: Your Memories Are Just A Glitch!
- Ruin: A Stunning Short Sci Fi Film by Wes Ball
- Sight [a Short Sci Fi Film]